«

»

Apr 20

Warlords of Draenor Resto Druid Alpha Changes

Some of the changes we’re seeing at the moment on the alpha are pretty interesting. I’ve included the summary of Warlords of Draenor resto druid alpha changes below. Whether they may be considered “buffs” or “nerfs” today, with the changes to mana regen mechanics and stat balance, we’re really going to experience a reset of sorts. I’m going to go into more detail on several of these over the coming days.

Mana Cost Reductions

  • Healing Touch (19.5%*Base to 18.5%*Base)
  • Rejuvenation (18%*Base to 17%*Base)
  • Lifebloom (7.7%*Base to 7%*Base)
  • Cenarion Ward (14.8%*Base to 14%*Base).
  • Regrowth (38.5%*Base to 37%*Base)
  • Swiftmend (13%*Base to 12.5%*Base)
  • Tranquility (27%*Base to 25.5%*Base)
  • Wild Growth (17%*Base to 16%*Base)
  • Wild Mushroom (31.5%*Base to 30%*Base)
  • Wild Mushroom: Bloom (38.5%*Base to 37%*Base).

NB: Wild Mushroom & Wild Mushroom: Bloom have previously been free in MoP, so even though it’s been reduced in the alpha, this is a more major change.

Mana reductions will make it slightly easier to manage mana through spell choice alone. Consider also that Innervate won’t just be a free +20% mana every 3 minutes on a single ability, so it is something of a trade off.

 

Mana Cost Increases

Genesis more expensive – 14.5%*Base up to 18%*Base. Genesis is a very powerful ability. At approximately the cost of a Rejuv it is very easy to calculate it’s cost effectiveness on the fly and is still going to be uber powerful.

 

Ability Changes

Innervate has changed to now regen 2.5%*Max every 4 sec for 8 sec on a 2 second cast with no cooldown. This will either be worth 5%*Max or 7.5%*Max over the 8 sec if you don’t heal, depending on if there’s an upfront tick or not. Note that damaging abilities may be cast in this period. This is a really cool change to Innervate and will bring in a whole new dynamic of healing style, especially useful on fights with spiky damage phases. You’ll be able to heal like crazy for short durations, and spend downtime regening mana.

Wild Growth now has a cast time of 1.5 sec, up from instant.

Tranquility has been changed significantly in an effort to reduce the complexity (channel+AoE ticks+HoT effect+smart heal+strength changed by raid size). It is now a simple “Heals all raid members within range every 2 sec for 8 sec”. Overall healing is stated to be approximately the same.

Smart heals (Wild Growth, Tranquility, Efflorescence) will now randomly pick any injured target within range, instead of the most injured target (players still prioritised over pets). Changes to smart heals are explained well in this blue post.

Area healing spells are tuned to be more efficient than single-target spells when healing 3+ targets, and less efficient when they heal 2 or less.

Another of our goals for healing in this expansion is to strike a better balance between single-target and multi-target healing spells. We’ve taken a close look at the mana efficiency of our multi-target heals, and in many cases, we’re reducing their efficiency, usually by reducing the amount they heal. Sometimes, but more rarely, raising their mana cost was a better decision. We want players to use multi-target heals, but they should only be better than their single-target equivalents when they heal more than two players without any overhealing. This way, players will face a meaningful choice between whether to use a single-target heal or a multi-target heal based on the situation.

Efflorescence has been moved to Wild Mushroom from Swiftmend, making Glyph of Efflorescence’s effect the default. This takes what was a mandatory glyph frees up its glyph spot.

Talent Tier 6 has been redesigned to provide a lesser and more balanced bonus to Resto, and provide a dynamic choice for off-role abilities.

 

Glyph Changes

Glyph changes so far are not particularly notable. Below are the ones I pick out as having some impact to resto druids in PvE.

Glyph of Imbued Bark While Barkskin is active, when you are interrupted the resulting school lock has 50% reduced duration
Glyph of Enchanted Bark For 10 sec after activating Barkskin, you are immune to Silence and Interrupt effects
Glyph of the Ninth Life Reduces all damage taken while in Cat Form by 10%.
Glyph of Efflorescence Removed. Glyph effect has been implemented as default.

 

Thanks for reading. Don’t forget you can participate in the discussion by posting a comment below. Also, don’t forget to join the mailing list so you don’t miss any posts.

Permanent link to this article: http://sometimesatree.com/warlords-draenor-resto-druid-alpha-changes/

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>