|This post was originally written during Mists of Pandaria. Its content may be outdated due to changes that come with expansion packs. Please consider this while reading.
Questions? Feel free to contact me – firstname.lastname@example.org.
My plan for Mists of Pandaria is to level my druid as quickly as possible. I’ll level as Balance and then switch straight to resto for heroics on hitting Level 90. I’ll be levelling my professions (Engineering and Leatherworking) as soon as possible. Of course, when I’m level 90, I’m going to need some gear. To begin with, I’ll just be aiming to get the best gear I can to make healing easier, because that will make grinding for more gear easier (catch 22!). From then on, it will all be about the Challenge Modes, and optimising accordingly.
Below is my resto druid gear list and a rough map of valor point spending for Mists of Pandaria. To begin, I’ll get everything I can from justice points and crafting (since the crafted gear seems to be the best you can get before stepping into a raid.
Gear obtainable with justice points:
- Ring (1)
Gear obtainable through crafting:
- Chest (leatherworking)
- Gloves (leatherworking)
- Helmet (engineering)
Note that at present, it looks like there is no weapon that is both craftable with Blacksmithing and equippable by resto druids. I believe this will probably change, but there is no guarantee.
Engineering the best profession in Challenge Modes?
I’ll expand on this in a future post, but basically engineering helmets have a superior itemisation value per item level than their equivalent gear (in this case, raid-finder level). If the scaling maintains this, which I expect is most likely, it means that engineering becomes the best profession to take for Challenge Modes (since this boost is in addition to Synapse Springs).
This leaves me with the following items I will be purchasing with valor points – I’ll be prioritising the non-justice point upgrades to begin with, but as I am also like to get JP-equivalent loot from running heroics, and by the time I get too far down this list I’ll have had the chance to get some raid loot, this will likely change based on my luck there.
Gear obtainable with valor points:
- Trinket (1) – This will be high priority since I’m less likely to get both trinket slots filled by drops than any other item. Note that you can’t equip both valor point trinkets at the same time.
- Ring (2)
- Neck / Cloak / Bracers / Legs (upgrading justice items, as needed)
Dungeon Loot – Helm, shoulders, weapon/offhand
- Hood of Viridian Residue – Siege of Nuzao Temple (Vizier Jinbak)
I include thise because the engineering helmet may take some time to acquire, and there’s the chance that it won’t work in Challenge Modes.
- Incarnadine Scarlet Spaulders – Scarlet Monastery (High Inquisitor Whitemane)
- Staff “Jelyu Spirit of the Serpent” – Temple of the Jade Serpent (Sha of Doubt)
- Mace “Carapace Breaker” – Gate of the Setting Sun (Raigonn)
- Dagger “Melted Hypnotic Blade” – Scarlet Halls (Flameweaver Koegler)
- Offhand “Bottle of Potent Potables” – Stormstout Brewery (Hoptallus)